Planning The Future

The best laid plans of mice and men are generally the ones that never come to fruition. Sitting in quiet contemplation I vaguely remember my childhood dreams and realise how ridiculous some of them were but also how realistic others were. One thing I never dreamed of was being a fire fighter but here I am after 8 years in the New South Wales Rural Fire Service. In another two years I can get that ten years long service medal. I've served under three different captains, during my time in my local brigade. How time flies when you're having fun.

When I was five I was all set to grow up and become Superman or something equally stupid. When I was 12 I was going through to university then on to become a police officer. Once I hit high school and puberty reared its ugly head I quite literally and simply didn't know. Towards the end of high school teaching had become a distinct possibility. I was out of high school and into college enrolled in both I.T. and Natural Area Restoration. I dropped the tree hugger rubbish half way though because I.T. was where my future was taking me. A few years later I'm enrolled in a multimedia course with ideas of looking into a film/television career but I'm only really enrolled in it because it's something to do while I wait to hear from the Department of Corrective Services to go through their interviews and tests and training course and hopefully onto a guard position.

People say life is what you make it. That's a load of bullshit if you ask me. Life is the amalgamation of your surroundings, relationships, obstacles, trials and tribulations that are put upon you whether you plan them or not. Life is not what you make it, life is what you have to make it through. It's what you have to live with, cope with, enjoy, or try to hide from. Cut yourself off from the world if you will, but then there is no life, only an empty existence. So take each day as it comes, have fun, take risks, walk faster, drive slower, smell the roses, buy a pair of roller blades - you know you want to.

1 comments:

In the Blue Moon of my Heart said...

lol i love the last paragraph :)

Post a Comment